Sunday, June 12, 2011

Glitch Hop Spotlight: Ben Samples !


As you might've noticed by now, I'm a glitch hop fan, so sue me. For some reason it seems like a kinda obscure genre that mostly Canadians seem to be proficient at, but frankly I haven't found any other electronic genre that comes with this much swag.

Two of my favourites, I've already featured, namely Squincy Jones and Subvert. Today I figured it was time to feature the #1 on my top 3 list of fave glitch hoppers, Ben Samples!

Back in Blaque (Samples Remix) by bensamples

This is a new tune from June 7th that I discovered on a trip to GHF today. I mean, come on, right off the bat, that guitar sound? Oh lawd. Now I don't know if it's a synth or live guitar, but either way it's CRISP. After that you've got the whole groove section with the funky bass, then awesome Brian Johnson vocals. 80's rock, fuck yes.

Def Leppard - Women (Samples Deathmix) by bensamples

An older tune, that I heard for the first time back in January or so, on the F2D Cali Grassroots mix. Fresh2Death is a DJ duo featuring Fisk and Samples btw, if you cared. Anyway, this song has the same awesomely crisp guitar sounds, but it feels a bit more action packed. Love how you can hear the bassline work at around the 2.15 mark. This whole old school rock mixing really is dope.

BOSS! by bensamples

THIS ONE! Seriously this song is so bad ass. This proves the statement I made at the top by 110%. You won't find this swag anywhere else. I heard this song the first time on Subverts Shambhala 2010 mix if I'm not mistaken. At that time I did not know about glitch hop or Samples, and the name of this song wasn't present in the track list. It just so happened that I found the link to GHF while looking for the Tin Can Telephone cantina RMX, and the rest is history my friends.

Enjoy this post for a while 'cuz I'll likely not have time to post more than once tomorrow! Put your faith in Isidor. ;D
/Lekroth
No copyright infringement intended. All cred goes to the respective authors and labels, as they should!

No comments:

Post a Comment